Homocysteine is an essential amino acid in the body produced when proteins are broken down. We need this molecule in balance, so we don’t want too much, and we don’t want too little. A high homocysteine level, also called hyperhomocysteinemia, can contribute to arterial damage in your blood vessels. Measuring levels is a simple blood test.
Homocysteine is involved in the following critical functions in the body:
- Cell division
- DNA and RNA synthesis
- CNS development
- Gene expression (or non-expression)
- Immune cell differentiation
- Neurotransmitter synthesis and metabolism
- Histamine clearance
- Hormone balancing
- Cellular energy metabolism
- Myelination of peripheral nerves (proximate cause of Multiple Sclerosis)
Elevated homocysteine is linked to:
- Heart attack
- Deep venous thrombosis (DVT)
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Atherosclerosis, or a buildup of fats and other substances in the arterial walls
Supplements (and foods) to Lower Homocysteine (references included)
- B Vitamins: B12- reference, Folate- reference, B6- reference – Our Homocysteine Support contains all three of these and other synergistic nutrients to facilitate the efficient metabolism of homocysteine.
- Potassium– reference. Our powdered Potassium Boost gets the job done perfectly.
- Magnesium– reference. Magne 5 is our magnesium product containing 5 forms of magnesium.
- Vitamin D- reference. Best sources of vitamin D are sunshine and animal foods. Also found in our Super D.
- Betaine– reference. This is found in our digestive enzyme formula, Digest– 2 caps with each meal is best. Betaine is also in our Heart Beet.
- Omega DHA– reference. Eat fish like sardines and anchovies in glass, and wild salmon in a can. If you don’t eat enough quality seafood, try our CardiOmega.
- Quercetin– reference My favorite way to get quercetin is from capers. Quercetin is also in rutin, found in our Heart Defense protein shake mix.
- Zinc– reference. Eat shellfish. Here is a link to a recommended canned oysters on Amazon.
- Choline– reference. Eggs. Also in our Cardio MULTI and Super B.
- Creatine- reference Animal products. No need to use creatine powder. Stick with grass-fed animal meats and seafood.