Millions have blocked arteries. Cardiologists call this atherosclerosis. You can’t feel it happening and you certainly can’t see it from the outside.
But atherosclerosis can progress for years until a person finally experiences symptoms like chest discomfort or shortness of breath or worse a heart attack or stroke.
Don’t wait for that, take steps to prevent it now.
What is Atherosclerosis?
Atherosclerosis is essentially scar tissue in an artery. This is also referred to as plaque build up containing immune cells, cholesterol, calcium and other substances on the inside of the arteries.
Over time these substances harden and build up as plaque, ultimately narrowing the arteries and obstructing blood flow to your heart and other organs. This can lead to heart attacks, stroke, serious illness and death.
What Causes Plaque to Build Up?
Inflammation plays a major role in plaque build up as it causes damage and holes in tissue. Cholesterol is the waxy repair substance that rushes to the scene to repair damaged tissue when something goes awry. Cholesterol’s responsibility is to heal that area.
Let’s talk more about cause.
What causes inflammation?
- High Blood Pressure
- Insulin Resistance
- Heavy Metals
- Poor lifestyle habits
- Poor eating habits
- …and the list goes on.
How to Prevent Atherosclerosis:
- The Paleo Diet is high in beneficial nutrients. By following the Paleo diet you are limited to whole foods and subsequently avoid damaging chemicals, oils and additives. Essentially it replaces empty calorie processed foods. See our Paleo Pyramid for more information.
- Sunshine – lack of sunshine leads to cardiovascular disease. Sunlight on the skin helps to generate nitric oxide, a vasodilator that keeps the blood flowing smoothly through the arteries. Sunshine creates vitamin D. The more vitamin D, the lower your risk of heart disease. Read more about “The Sunshine Vitamin and Heart Disease.”
- Sleep and atherosclerosis: Shorter sleeping times as well as fragmented sleep are linked to an increased risk of atherosclerosis. If you struggle with sleep see our post on “Natural Ways to Fall Asleep Fast”.
- Meditation reduces stress which reduces heart disease. “Randomized studies suggest that yoga/meditation could retard or even regress early and advanced coronary atherosclerosis.” The “Headspace” app is a great place to get started if you don’t already have a meditation practice.
- Detoxification can treat atherosclerosis. Removing any toxic burden allows the body to begin to heal from a disease state. We recommend saunas to almost everyone as they promote a strong immune system, anti aging, relaxation, improve blood pressure and circulation and reduce stroke risk. For more ways to detox: “Ten Ways to Help Your Body Detox.”
The answer is simple: target and treat inflammation. If your heart disease is genetic we can help you live your best life and reduce the risk of serious illness. Reach out to us at Natural Heart Doctor and/or make an appointment with a health coach for a free consultation. We can guide you on your path to healing. People are more successful with a support team and we would love to be that for you!
Supplements to Support Blood Vessel Health
In addition to lifestyle changes we recommend some of our favorite supplements to help prevent and potentially reverse atherosclerosis:
Arterosil: Arterosil.com. You need a code to purchase. Mine is WOLFSON. 1 cap 2x/day
Megaquinone – Vitamin K2– 1 cap per day
Optilipid– 1 cap 2x per day