Testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) for men can be safe and effective when used appropriately and closely monitored. However, like any medical treatment, it carries potential risks and benefits that should be carefully considered.
But before you run to your MD and get a prescription, get your foundation right to see if you can boost testosterone (T) naturally. We start with Eat Well, Live Well, Think Well. Then Test, Don’t Guess, evidence-based supplements and biohacking strategies.
If your T is still low, or you lack the motivation for the above because of low T, then therapy may be right for you.
I only start T in people with symptoms AND low total T or low free T. There are many supplements that can help before starting T.
What are the Benefits of TRT
- Improved Energy
- Increased Muscle Mass and Strength
- Improved Sexual Function: TRT can enhance libido and erectile function in men with testosterone deficiency.
- Mood and Cognitive Benefits: Some men experience improvements in mood, cognitive function, and overall quality of life.
Risks of TRT
- Cardiovascular Risks: There’s ongoing debate and research regarding TRT’s impact on heart health. Some studies suggest a possible increased risk of heart attack and stroke. Some studies suggest heart rhythm problems, such as atrial fibrillation, may be increased on TRT. Also, risk of pulmonary embolism appears increased. Let the buyer beware.
- Prostate: TRT may stimulate prostate growth and could be risky for men with prostate cancer.
- Blood Clots:There’s a risk of developing blood clots in the veins with testosterone therapy. This includes DVT and PE.
- Sleep Apnea: TRT may worsen existing obstructive sleep apnea. Also, could improve sleep apnea.
- Polycythemia: An increase in red blood cell count can occur, which can be problematic. You MUST keep your hemoglobin under 15. This is done with blood donation or therapeutic phlebotomy.
Best Testosterone Level
I use a total testosterone level of 750 mg/dl to be the goal. Not much high and not much lower.
I would typically start T for levels below 350, in a man with symptoms.
Please understand the risks and benefits of any therapy, including testosterone. Close monitoring is necessary. Following our Foundational Method of Eat Well, Live Well, Think Well remains the cornerstone of health.