Mold Can Lead to High Blood Pressure. Here’s How.
Mold mycotoxins are harmful compounds produced by certain types of fungi that grow on various food items and in indoor environments. These toxins can have serious health consequences, including hypertension or high blood pressure. In this blog post, we will explore how mold mycotoxins can lead to hypertension and what you can do to prevent it.
What are mold mycotoxins?
Mold mycotoxins are toxic substances produced by different types of mold or fungi. They can be found in foods that are not fresh, including most cereal grains and coffee. That is why we test our Cardiology Coffee for mold mycotoxins. But even more sinister are mycotoxins from water-damaged building molds. The most common types of mold mycotoxins include aflatoxins, ochratoxins, trichothecenes, and fumonisins.
How do mold mycotoxins lead to hypertension?
Hypertension or high blood pressure affects millions of people. Billions are spent on pharmaceuticals. Yet, this band aid approach does not work, therefore people still suffer strokes, heart attacks and heart failure…kidney disease too.
Mold mycotoxins can contribute to hypertension in several ways.
- Causing oxidative stress in the body, which along with inflammation can damage blood vessels. Many studies show the link between oxidative stress and all cardiovascular disease including hypertension. (Test your levels of oxidative stress, inflammation and dozens of other cardiac markers HERE or as part of our Level 2 testing strategy).
- Interfere with the renin-angiotensin system, which regulates blood pressure. This system works by controlling the amount of fluid in your body and the diameter of your blood vessels. Mycotoxins can affect this system by increasing the levels of angiotensin II, a hormone that causes blood vessels to constrict and blood pressure to rise.
- Some mold mycotoxins are well known to lead to kidney damage. The kidneys play a crucial role in regulating blood pressure by removing excess fluid from the body. When the kidneys are not functioning normally, this can lead to high blood pressure.
- The endothelium is affected by mycotoxins, according to this and many other studies. This organ lines all blood vessels, so when there is endothelial dysfunction, high blood pressure (and coronary artery disease) is the likely result.
How to reduce your risk of mycotoxicity and hypertension?
The best way to prevent mold mycotoxins and hypertension is to take steps to avoid exposure to mold and mycotoxins. This can be done by:
- Keeping your home dry and well-ventilated to prevent mold growth.
- Regularly checking for and fixing leaks and water damage in your home.
- Buying high-quality, fresh foods, and following the 100 Year Heart diet approach along with our method: Eat Well, Live Well, Think Well.
Test, Don’t Guess
At Natural Heart Doctor, we recommend you test yourself AND your home.
- Test yourself for mycotoxins with the urine analysis from Vibrant Wellness. Over 30 toxins are tested. The test includes a free interpretation from a Natural Heart Doctor coach. You can order the test by itself or part of the recommended Level 2 testing package.
- Test your home with a “swiffer test”. Read more here.
If you are currently exposed to mold, we think the best detox strategy is the Foundation Protocol from CellCore. You can learn more here or speak with one of our health coaches about this program.
In conclusion, mold mycotoxins are harmful compounds that can contribute to hypertension or high blood pressure. By taking steps to prevent exposure to mold and mycotoxins, testing yourself and your home, as well as adopting the healthy lifestyle habits of Eat Well, Live Well, Think Well, you can reduce your risk of developing hypertension and improve your overall health.
Dr. Jack Wolfson