In the 1980’s angioplasty and stents were not available. What did they do to open a blocked vessel? They used something called streptokinase, a medication and enzyme used to break down clots. Streptokinase can lead to severe bleeding and even stroke.
Fortunately today, you can harness the benefits of streptokinase without the risk using an enzyme called nattokinase. I have yet to see a bleed with this enzyme.
What is nattokinase?
Natto, a fermented soybean product, has been consumed as a traditional food in Japan for thousands of years. Could this food be the secret to the longevity of the Japanese? People in Japan live, on average, 4.5 years longer than people in the United States!
Nattokinase is a blood clot dissolving protein produced during the fermentation of soybeans to produce Natto.The effectiveness of nattokinase as an anti clotting agent has been studied in Japan, Korea and China for years. Western medicine has more recently been acknowledging the benefits. I recognize the benefits and use it in my practice daily.
How does nattokinase work?
Mechanism of Clot-busting Action:
- Degrades fibrin
- Degrades PAI-1 (plasminogen activator inhibitor)
- Increases TPA (tissue plasminogen activator)
- Activates urokinase- a clot buster that activates plasmin
- Inhibits platelet function
Is nattokinase right for you?
I use nattokinase for patients with the following issues:
- AFib – calculate your CHADSVASC.org score. If 2 or less, I think nattokinase is a great option. 3 and above, make sure you check with your holistic doctor.
- Coronary artery disease.
- Elevated Lp(a) – Lp(a) is a lipid that leads to hypercoagulability (stick blood). It interferes with the clot buster that nattokinase ACTIVATES. Learn more about Lp(a) in this video.
- History of stroke
- History of blood clots and prevention of blood clots. An enzyme supplement similar to nattokinase was studied on people traveling on long airline flights. A dramatic difference was seen in the supplement group vs. placebo.
- Dementia and dementia prevention.
Nattokinase has been proven to be very effective for those concerned about clotting. At Natural Heart Doctor we have a supplement we use often with patients called FLOW. This is one supplement I call the “nightstand nutrient”. Simply put it next to your bed and take 1 pill 1-2x/day, morning and/or night on a mostly empty stomach. Depending on risk factors taking 1 pill 3x per day is sometimes recommended.
If you would like to meet with a health coach to review your condition and recommendations make an appointment here.
This article is for information purposes only. Always Check with your doctor to find out if nattokinase is right for you. Check with your doctor before stopping any prescription pharmaceutical. Nattokinase is not recommended in anyone on prescription blood thinners. This warning also includes aspirin, unless working with a skilled holistic practitioner.