“The adverse effects of electrosmog may take decades to be appreciated, although some, like carcinogenicity, are already starting to surface. This gigantic experiment on our children and grandchildren could result in massive damage to the mind and body with the potential to produce a disaster of unprecedented proportions, unless proper precautions are immediately implemented.”
–Dr. Paul J. Rosch, MD, clinical professor at New York Medical College
Electromagnetic radiation, otherwise known as electromagnetic fields (EMF), is a silent and invisible toxin that lurks in many forms in the world today. There are two forms of energy that come from this: extremely low frequency (ELF) and radio frequency (RF) radiation. Both forms of radiation are ever present and very harmful.
Every electronic device we own silently emits forms of EMF all day long. Unfortunately, because EMFs are a toxin that are both invisible and silent, we as humans rarely stop to think about just how much we are being exposed. While electronics have provided more convenience and ease for our everyday lives, they have also silently wreaked havoc on our health, especially the health of our cells.
We are currently being exposed to unprecedented levels of this toxin. The exposure dosage of these EMFs is long term and constant, and that is the problem.
The Shifting Paradigm
For decades, we have known that high levels of ionizing radiation, like that from X-rays, are harmful and linked to diseases such as cancer. Today, evidence now reveals that long term, steadfast exposure to low levels of non-ionizing radiation (EMFs) is also harmful and linked to many disease states. People are questioning the safety of these electronic devices – some research is being conducted.
Outdated Safety Standards and a Lack of Regulation
When cell phones first came on the market about 30 years ago, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) set basic standards for safety for cell phone use. Since that time, in 1996, no one has updated the standards, even though just about everything regarding cell phone use has changed. This is especially true that we now have 5G. Unfortunately, the standards don’t even come close to applying to 5G technology. As a result, our health has suffered immensely.
The Toxin that is Everywhere
We know that EMFs have detrimental effects on human cells. Therefore, we cannot assume safety.
All wireless and electrical appliances emit EMF radiation, including but not limited to:
- Cell phones
- Wi-fi routers
- Lighting appliances
- Electrical appliances
- Smart meters
- Cell phone towers
- Power lines
The devices that release the MOST EMF radiation include:
- Cell Phones
- Tablets/ Ipads
- Smart meters
Many Symptoms Can Be Linked to Exposure:
Common EMF radiation symptoms include but are not limited to:
- Heart palpitations or arrhythmias
- Fast heart rate (tachycardia) or any heart range changes
- High or low blood pressure
- Shortness of breath
- Inflammation, i.e. inflamed joints
- Mitochondrial dysfunction
- Sleep issues like insomnia
- Poor immune function
The Harms of a Wireless World
While there are many contentions surrounding EMFs, the science is very clear. The cells in our bodies react to EMFs just like they do to other toxins (heavy metals, environmental toxins, mold toxins) causing them to produce a biological stress response. In fact, researchers have argued that EMF radiation should be considered an environmental pollutant. And we agree with this statement.
Health occurs when the cells in our bodies can communicate with each other and function properly. Disease results when our cells can no longer produce proper signals, communicate effectively or function well. The difference between health and illness comes down to how well our cells function and react. Simply put, the trillions of cells in our bodies respond to electrical signals, which get converted to chemical signals, which result in a derived function. EMFs impact this process and cellular dysfunction (and disease) can result.
EMF exposure can lead to abnormal changes and mutations in cells and altered behavior of cells. Always remember, damaged cells lead to disease. This is especially true of the heart, an organ that relies SO much on cells functioning properly.
What does the EMF research show?
There is limited EMF research, but some studies have shown some major health effects of EMFs, including:
- Increased uptake of glucose in cells
- Research analyzed the effects of holding a phone close to the head. Brain regions nearest the phone antenna and with the highest amounts of EMF exposure resulted in increased glucose uptake into cells. This may not seem like much, but increased glucose uptake in cells (as depicted by a PET brain scan) is the same process that is linked to cancer and neurodegeneration (and that also shows up on a PET scan). Above all else, increased glucose in cells is toxic, especially to the heart.
- Increased heart palpitations and heart arrhythmias
- EMF exposure can affect heart cells by changing their form, their ability to communicate, and ultimately, their function. Malfunctioning cardiomyocytes no longer respond properly to electrical signals. This can lead to heart rhythm issues like palpitations and AFib. In fact, science showed long ago that individuals exposed to magnetic fields regularly have much higher rates of arrhythmias.
- Increased blood pressure
- Rats exposed to EMFS have higher blood pressure after exposure. EMFs affect heart function and blood pressure because they interfere with multiple signals in the heart, including those responsible for proper relaxation and contraction. A 1998 study found that workers exposed to radiofrequency EMFs had altered circadian rhythms of both blood pressure and heart rate and had increased risk for cardiovascular diseases.
- Chest pain or pressure
- Science has shown that some symptoms, like significant chest pain or pressure associated with EMF exposure, can even resemble the signs of a heart attack. A 2017 study showed that regular EMF exposure can cause pathological changes in the heart along with increased oxidative stress and inflammation, all of which can contribute to cardiac issues like chest pain and angina.
Other risks include:
- Increased risk of heart and brain cancers
- Increased oxidative stress and free radicals
- Decreased antioxidants like melatonin and glutathione
- Increased cellular inflammation
- Increased anxiety and a heightened stress response
- Decreased immune function
- More disease in general
How to Stay Safe in Electrical Smog
In order to stay safe in a world of electrical smog, the goal must be to limit exposure to EMF radiation every day.
Here are some ways to do just that:
- Limit technology use and reduce time with tech items during the day. Harm comes from cumulative time – limit your exposure and use only short periods of time. Become very mindful of that time. Also, take breaks from using electronic devices whenever you can!
- Create distance between you and the electronic, i.e. talking with headphones on a phone instead of holding phone directly to your head. This limits the intense exposure. Even a small distance between you and your phone or laptop is protective.
- Shield yourself well. There are many EMF-shielding devices out there that can aid in limiting and preventing radiation from reaching your body. It must shield you from both ELF and RF radiation, though. Check out Defender Shield and Blushield for the ultimate in EMF protection.